Skip to main content

True Nature

 I was invited to teach yoga/meditation and an intention to some high schoolers in a school by a student that I practice with at my studio the other day. I have forgotten how inspiring such an exchange is. 

I was reflecting on one of the intentions that I’ve worked with teens on and that is, living your truth, your true nature. How do we really live our lives—like we see ourselves, or like others see us. If we were to describe ourselves, do we see ourselves really as we are or do we see ourselves through the eyes of what others see. 

Which is more true? 

I’ve learned through experience that it’s a challenge to live what others expect of you, because that involves taking into account all of their past experiences that brought them to where they are today. However, it can be more of a challenge living your own truth. Isn’t it easier to please others. Does this lead to surpassing expectations, letting people down? Perhaps sometimes one, sometimes another, and sometimes a little of both. But the important thing is, that the only way to be true to others, is to be true to yourself. 

I even think of myself as a yoga teacher. How I should follow the expectations of what a yoga teacher is meant to be. I don’t want to let my students down. But wait a second here. Isn’t that exactly the point? That no one, not even the students that I learn from every day, that I honor and care about, are allowed to paint me into a certain character in a book. Onto a canvas the way they want me to be.

I once spoke with a teacher/friend about trees. About really appreciating a tree for what it is. Even if you don’t know what kind of tree it is, what it’s label is, what color you expect its leaves to turn, how you expect it to pop new bright green leaves and shade you in the summer. Even if you don’t know all this stuff going into (the woods), you’ll still get it. There’s more of this convo that I’ll share at another time.

And that made me feel good somehow. That the simplicity of nature is something to learn from. Taking it a step further, and this is really what made me feel happy, is that a tree is good to go being a tree that way it was meant to be. Doesn’t matter who wants it to sprout leaves in the spring. To let them go flying in the wind mid October. Who or what expects shade, or apples or a nice soft bark to lean against when you’re needing a place to rest your weary head. The tree is the tree is was sprouted to be. And no matter how disappointing it is, this one grows green needles, keeps them all year, doesn’t do much in the line of bearing fruit, isn’t flashy and colorful in the fall. But it’s a great place to sit under, to take cover, and it stays green all year round. Plus it’s a great resting spot for fireflies. 

So,while some people are trying hard not to eat gluten and stay away from sugar (okay, I haven’t eaten bread in a few months) my goals is to be more like the tree. The concept—that I can only be what I was sprouted to be. My goal? To not pretend to be anthing  more, or less, or different,  than that. And although I’ll disappoint those who like to make leaf piles in the fall, hopefully some will appreciate the evergreen needles. And the sparks of firefly light seen through the branches on a warm summer night. 


This takes fortitude. The lines can be blurry. People can argue that you should always think of others first, and on and on. Look deeper. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m simply saying I’ve visited a place that begs for each tree to grow into what its nature was meant to be. 

And happily ever after


, the story goes, grew a beautiful forest. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Thing?

  When I was a little girl, my mom and dad shared their appreciation for bluebirds with us. My dad put bluebird houses up in our yard, hoping to attract them. My mom needlepointed sayings with bluebirds on, and found small glass sculptures of the tiny birds to place around our house.   I think for them, those “bluebirds of happiness” truly did represent the peace and joy that was within the walls of our home.  When I grew up and moved to eventually land  in the house I now live in, I tried desperately to attract bluebirds. Put out houses. Bought a whistle. Bluebird food.  But…never one.  But over the past few years, with my mom passed and my dad declining, I would awaken many mornings to a soft hammering on my house. At the highest point on one corner of the outside in the cedar siding, a woodpecker was diligently creating a hole. Each time I’d see him working his way through the side of my house, I’d wonder how I was going to deal with this issue, for surely a hole made by a bird in o

Forget-Me-Not

  Back in the day… Before cell phones Before land lines were obsolete Before my mom died, She and I had a late-night code: one of us would call the other and let it ring only once (so as not to wake everyone as all the phones in the house would ring) when we had something to talk about.  The other would know to return the call. No matter what hour of the night.  We would’ve already spoken that day, and we were living only a few houses apart from each other so there’s a good chance we had visited too, but those late night calls-when the world settled down to stillness and silence…we would share what only mothers and daughters share.  It was such a simple gesture, those calls.  I probably took it for granted-the fact that my mom was just one ring away.  But those moments became some of my favorite memories.  My mom is gone now but still, I leave my cell phone ringer on at night.  I say it’s for emergencies  but I think equally so it’s for the non-emergencies-when one of my daughters feel

Teachers

  I remember the huge auditorium I sat in, on a fall afternoon at UW Madison. It was the introduction to student teaching. The professor stood  in front of the room full of college kids eager to have our “first classroom.” He said, “If you aren’t asleep by  8 pm  each night because the day of teaching has exhausted you, you are doing something wrong.”  I distinctly remember shaking my head and laughing to myself saying, “there’s no way…”  I made it through seven years of teaching elementary students before I became a mom. I taught in what would be considered for many reasons, a non-challenging district. During those teaching years,  I made it to  7 pm  on good nights before falling asleep exhausted.  Fast forward to now. I’m no longer in the classroom. But some of my most favorite people are-my daughter, sister-in-law, and friends teach young ones in the classroom. I hear some of the stories-the above and beyond that teachers must do these days to help these young kids learn, immersed