Skip to main content


This is my younger brother John.  We received the devastating news that he died a few days ago.

The shock of this is exceeded only by the overwhelming grief we are feeling.

I’m not sure what to write here. The words are stuck in the deepest place in my heart.

I’m sitting  in the quietest early morning hours at my cabin. The last time I saw John was around a trip here last spring, fishing together. He caught a northern and was happy about that. He let it go so it could keep living. 

I’m looking out at the lake. At the place we floated…it is now empty, with only the reflection of the dying season stretching across the water. I’m gazing at the spot we sat in a small row boat only a few months ago…talking about things I don’t remember now because we both through it was one of many family trips we’d continue having together. 

I was wrong.

John was a strong person with the most tender heart I’ve ever met. He was witty. An extreme athlete, he read classic literature, was brilliant, both intellectually and emotionally. He was a founding board member of ALL KIND PROJECT. Well educated. Loyal. He was tenderly sensitive…he couldn’t stand the thought of anything suffering. He was one of the most generous people on the planet. 

But there was so much more to him than that

…so much more. 

It goes without saying, he was loved beyond words, by all of us. 

For those of his friends who are just finding this out-you know who you are-he loved you fiercely, like he loved his family. Loyal and with his full heart. 

I’ll post again, at another time. But I wanted anyone who knew him to know the reason why the world dimmed a few days ago.

And, if you would, our family would appreciate heartfelt prayers sent to him, on his journey from this world. 

Thank you. 


Popular posts from this blog

A Good Thing?

  When I was a little girl, my mom and dad shared their appreciation for bluebirds with us. My dad put bluebird houses up in our yard, hoping to attract them. My mom needlepointed sayings with bluebirds on, and found small glass sculptures of the tiny birds to place around our house.   I think for them, those “bluebirds of happiness” truly did represent the peace and joy that was within the walls of our home.  When I grew up and moved to eventually land  in the house I now live in, I tried desperately to attract bluebirds. Put out houses. Bought a whistle. Bluebird food.  But…never one.  But over the past few years, with my mom passed and my dad declining, I would awaken many mornings to a soft hammering on my house. At the highest point on one corner of the outside in the cedar siding, a woodpecker was diligently creating a hole. Each time I’d see him working his way through the side of my house, I’d wonder how I was going to deal with this issue, for surely a hole made by a bird in o


  Back in the day… Before cell phones Before land lines were obsolete Before my mom died, She and I had a late-night code: one of us would call the other and let it ring only once (so as not to wake everyone as all the phones in the house would ring) when we had something to talk about.  The other would know to return the call. No matter what hour of the night.  We would’ve already spoken that day, and we were living only a few houses apart from each other so there’s a good chance we had visited too, but those late night calls-when the world settled down to stillness and silence…we would share what only mothers and daughters share.  It was such a simple gesture, those calls.  I probably took it for granted-the fact that my mom was just one ring away.  But those moments became some of my favorite memories.  My mom is gone now but still, I leave my cell phone ringer on at night.  I say it’s for emergencies  but I think equally so it’s for the non-emergencies-when one of my daughters feel


  I remember the huge auditorium I sat in, on a fall afternoon at UW Madison. It was the introduction to student teaching. The professor stood  in front of the room full of college kids eager to have our “first classroom.” He said, “If you aren’t asleep by  8 pm  each night because the day of teaching has exhausted you, you are doing something wrong.”  I distinctly remember shaking my head and laughing to myself saying, “there’s no way…”  I made it through seven years of teaching elementary students before I became a mom. I taught in what would be considered for many reasons, a non-challenging district. During those teaching years,  I made it to  7 pm  on good nights before falling asleep exhausted.  Fast forward to now. I’m no longer in the classroom. But some of my most favorite people are-my daughter, sister-in-law, and friends teach young ones in the classroom. I hear some of the stories-the above and beyond that teachers must do these days to help these young kids learn, immersed